- Focuses you on the here and now
- Shows how unimportant and insignificant things really are
- Creates urgency – there may not be a ‘tomorrow’
- Recalls pleasant memories of the departed one’s life
- Makes you pause and reflect on your own life – seriously
- Proves you have a lot to be grateful for – like being alive
- Forces you to accept that you are human – and will be gone some day
These were thoughts that ran through my mind today as I drove back home from the funeral of a colleague who worked with me for a little over ten years, treating little kids with congenital heart defects.